Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
This is from Cecila Brooks Brown's "New vegetarian". Despite it being a salad I rarely make the whole thing. I often serve the spiced chickpeas and yoghurt with brown rice or wrapped up in a wholemeal chapatti.
- 14 ounces canned chick-peas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 1⁄2 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chile, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 lemon, juice of
For the dressing
- 6 1⁄4 fluid ounces Greek yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint leaf
- 8 3⁄4 ounces baby spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas
- Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and cook until softened.
- Reduce the heat, then add the garlic, chilli and chickpeas.
- Fry for two minutes, then add the cumin and half the lemon juice. Cook until the juices in the pan evaporate, then set aside.
- For the dressing, put the yoghurt in a bowl, then add the chopped mint and the remaining lemon juice and oil. Add salt and pepper and mix until blended.
- To serve, divide the spinach between four plates or put on a serving platter, add the chickpea and mushroom mixture, then pour the yoghurt dressing over the top and serve.