1/7 Photos of Warm Chickpea Salad With Shallots and Red Wine Vinaigrette
bluemoon downunder's Note:
If you agree with Lynne Rossetto Kasper’s belief that “the chickpea should be canonized into the food lover’s hall of fame” then you’ll love this delicious, flavoursome and very healthy warm chickpea salad from award-winning vegetarian chef Peter Berley’s book “Fresh Food Fast: Delicious, Seasonal Vegetarian Meals in Under an Hour”. I subscribed to Lynne Rossetto Kasper’s “The Splendid Table” newsletters some time ago, and this is one of many fantastic recipes she has included in her newsletter. The recipes and her tips - which I have included in this posting - are great. I have posted this recipe here exactly as I received it. Because "The Splendid Table” recipes and Lynne’s tips are always SO excellent, I shall post some more of them. I love this recipe, Lynne clearly loves this recipe; I hope that other chickpea lovers will too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large shallots or 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional to taste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1In a large bowl, combine the shallots, vinegar, garlic, and salt.
- 2Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the shallots and garlic to mellow.
- 3In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- 4Add the chickpeas and blanch for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 6Add the carrot, parsley, and oil to the shallot mixture.
- 7Toss in the chickpeas and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Serve immediately with a loaf of good crusty bread, sweet butter and a leafy tossed salad.
- 9LYNNE'S TIPS:.
- 10Make extra and toss along with leftover tofu, seitan, shrimp, or cooked chicken breast into mixed greens for an entrée salad the next day.
- 11Substitute cannelini beans for the chickpeas and toss in some chopped good-quality salami.
- 12Simmering canned beans in lightly salted water for several minutes freshens them up. The warmed beans also absorb better the flavors of the vinaigrette.
- 13THOUGHTS FROM LYNNE:.
- 14On Canned Beans: Canned beans are the answer to little time and money. They taste every bit as good as those cooked from scratch, and they’re packed with nutrition, including fiber, protein, complex carbohydrates and B vitamins. Add them to soups, toss them into green salads, or dress them with flavorful oils, vinegar and herbs.
- 15On Chickpeas: For my money, the chickpea should be canonized into the food lover’s hall of fame. It is meaty, sweet and friendly with just about every seasoning and ingredient. Of course Peter Berley has known this for years.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Chickpea Salad With Shallots and Red Wine Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.9
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 799.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 11.0 g