Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I've been trying to include more beans into our diet recently. This is a great warm salad for fish or chicken. Leftovers are great reheated too. If you dont like chillies-no problem just leave them out (although to add some extra flavour in place of the chillies ,you might like to add some extra lemon juice, salt and pepper). Serves 4. You can use cannelini or any other white bean in place of the chickpeas. Serve with lemon wedges. For gluten-free or cegetarian-check stock is suitable for your diet
- 3 tomatoes, cut into quarters and seeds removed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 small red chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock or 1⁄4 cup water
- 400 g chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbonzos 14 oz)
- 4 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, zested finely
- Deseed the tomatoes and chillies. Chop tomatoes into a rough dice and finely slice the chillies.
- Heat the oil in a large frypan/skillet. Add the chilli, garlic and red onion. Stir over a medium heat for about 5 mintus.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the wine/stock/water (whichever of your choice). Reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet (if you dont have a lid you can use aluminium foil). Cook for another 8-10 minutes. The mixture should be soft and most of the liquid evaporated.Remove from the heat.
- Lightly stir in the chickpeas (or other white beans) , parsley, lemon juicend lemon zest.Season to taste with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Wow what a fantastic way to use chickpeas. Love it. I didn't have any chillies so i put is couple of shakes of chili powder in. it gave it a wonderful kick. I will be eating this for lunch heaps. Made for RECIPE SWAP #38 - March 2010 in the Aust/NZ forum
This was good, and simple to make, but not all that well recieved at the party I took it to. There was the usual mix of salads taken along by others (and finished), but I brought 2/3rds of my double recipe of this home. I took another dish along for nibbles and got lots of requests for the recipe, but no one asked for this one.
Excellent salad. I had as a dinner and it was healthy, tasty and spicy. I boiled my own chickpeas and it was so simple to make. Thaks, for sharing! Made it for 12 Days of Christmas swap!