A quick and healthy salad for a perfect lunch or light dinner. At 172 Calories a serving and 6 grams of fat this recipe is perfect for those who are watching what they eat and don't want to compromise flavor. This recipe is Better Homes and Gardens editor's top ten healthy heart recipe.
- 6 cups torn spinach
- 2 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers or 2 green sweet peppers, cut into bite-sized strips
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- fresh rosemary sprig (optional)
- In a large salad bowl, combine spinach, leaf lettuce, sliced red onion, and pepper strips. Cover and chill salad up to 2 hours.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized strips. Toss chicken with rosemary and lemon-pepper seasoning. In a wok or 10-inch skillet stir-fry chicken strips and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet. Add to salad mixture.
- For dressing, add vinegar and water to skillet, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Pour dressing over salad. Toss gently to mix. Transfer to individual salad plates. Garnish with fresh rosemary, if desired.