Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This wonderul recipe came from the Southpark Seafood Grill in Portmnd , Oregon. I found it in the RSVP section of Bon Appetit Magazine.
- 24 slices challah (or other egg bread, about 24 ounces, 1/2-inch-thick slices)
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried tart cherries
- purchased caramel sauce, heated
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Using 3-inch-diameter round cookie cutter, cut round from each bread slice and arrange on baking sheet.
- Toast bread rounds in oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bring cream, milk, and sugar to simmer in heavy large saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Whisk eggs in large bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into eggs.
- Whisk in rum and vanilla.
- Butter eight 1 1/4-cup soufflé dishes; arrange on rimmed baking sheet.
- Place 1 bread round in bottom of each dish.
- Top each with 1 heaping tablespoon dried cherries.
- Top cherries in each dish with another bread round.
- Top each with another heaping tablespoon dried cherries.
- Top cherries in each dish with third bread slice.
- Divide custard among dishes, using about 3/4 cup for each.
- Let stand 30 minutes, pressing down on bread occasionally.
- (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Bake bread puddings until tops are puffed and brown, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with caramel sauce.
- Makes 8.