Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This makes a delicious appetizer. It is from Fine Cooking.
Make and share this Warm Cheese & Mushroom Toasts recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 59.14 ml shallot, finely diced
- kosher salt
- 283.49 g mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, cremini and oyster (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 16 slice baguette, 1/2 inch slices (cut on a sharp diagonal so they're about 3 inches long)
- 354.88 ml gruyere cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a large heavy-duty skillet over medium heat.
- Add the shallot, season with 1/2 t salt and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Raise the heat to high, add the mushrooms and another 1/2 t salt, and cook, stirring frequently until softened and browned, 3-5 minutes longer.
- (At this point, you can cool to room temperature and refrigerate, tightly wrapped, for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before using).
- Set an oven rack about 8 inches away from the broiler element and heat the broiler to high.
- Arrange the bread slices on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Broil until lightly toasted, 2-4 minutes, rotating the pan as needed for even toasting.
- Flip the bread, mound a heaping tablespoon of the mushrooms on each piece, and sprinkle with the Gruyere.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 4-7 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Yum,yum,yum!! I made some of these little chaps on baguette slices and some on rounds of thick cut bread.The flavour of the mushrooms and the shallots was wonderful (it was a miracle that I had any left to put on the bread,as we kept picking at the mixture!),and topping it off with the cheese (I used gruyere and cheddar mixed) was just the icing on the cake.Thanks Lainey. Made for PhotoTag.