Recipe by LMillerRN
Enjoy the island flavors of WARM CARIBBEAN CHICKEN AND RICE SALAD WITH ALMONDS (see recipe). Serve the whole-meal salad with LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS.
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces chicken breast tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (8 ounce) package yellow rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped sweet onion (such as Vidalia or another variety)
- 1 seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh orange juice or 1 1⁄4 cups other orange juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest (orange part only)
- 1 cup orange section (fresh, canned or chilled)
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high. Add almonds and cook, stirring, until golden; set aside. In same skillet, heat half the oil and cook chicken 4 minutes, stirring, or until almost cooked through. Remove to a warm plate; cover to finish cooking. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to directions, omitting any oil. Toss hot rice with 1/4 cup chopped cilantro; set aside to keep warm.
- For the dressing: Heat the remaining oil in a pan. Add onions, jalapeno pepper and jerk seasoning, and cook 5 minutes or until onions are wilted. Pour in 1 cup of orange juice and boil 5 minutes to reduce. Combine the arrowroot and remaining 1/4 cup orange juice and stir into sauce to thicken. Add the salt and orange zest. Toss the cooked chicken, orange sections, half the almonds, remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and spinach together. Add the hot rice and the dressing and toss again to mix thoroughly. Serve topped with remaining almonds.