Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe in the dark confines of my electronic cookbook. I have not tried it yet.
Make and share this Warm Caramelized Onion and Sweet Potato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/2 thick slices
- vegetable oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Cook onions slowly until golden brown, about 20 minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add mustard and vinegar and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add honey, orange zest and thyme, stir to combine.
- Remove from heat.
- Preheat grill pan, grill or skillet.
- Brush the potato slices on both sides with the vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the potatoes on each side for 4 to 10 minutes or until cooked through and no longer crunchy (time depends on cooking method).
- Place potatoes in a bowl and fold in the caramelized onion mixture.
- Serve immediately.
I made this using half orange sweet potatoes and half blue swede potatoes which gave a spectacular colour combination. I also baked the potatoes whole in the oven before cooling and slicing them and used English rather than Dijon mustard. An instant hit!
I made this for a family BBQ. Everyone loved it. I made it ahead so it was not warm and I boiled the potatoes as the grill was quite busy. I also added crumbled bacon and garlic. It was a real hit.