Recipe by SweetSueAl
From Betty Crocker email. Serve this yummy apple upside-down cake warm from the oven.
Top Review by senseicheryl
Tip from www.bettycrocker.com website: Substitution You can use cinnamon for the apple pie spice for a slightly different flavor. Success Granny Smith and Braeburn are good apple choices to use in this recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 2 1/3 cups)
- 18 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2⁄3 cup whipped fluffy white frosting (from 12-oz container)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen whipped topping (thawed)
- caramel topping, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In 1-quart heavy saucepan, cook butter, whipping cream and brown sugar over low heat, stirring occasionally, just until butter is melted.
- Pour into 13x9-inch pan. Sprinkle with pecans; top with sliced apples.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and apple pie spice with electric mixer on low speed until moistened.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Carefully spoon batter over apple mixture.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of cake from pan.
- Place heatproof serving platter upside down on pan; carefully turn platter and pan over.
- Let pan remain over cake about 1 minute so caramel can drizzle over cake. Remove pan.
- In small bowl, mix frosting and whipped topping. Serve warm cake topped with frosting mixture and drizzled with caramel topping.