Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Comfort food at it's best! Sauteed green cabbage with apple, herbs, and white wine vinegar. Serve hot topped with crispy crumbled bacon. Delicious! Note: Use any green cabbage (Napa, green or Savoy cabbage) for this dish; adjust cooking times to suit.
- 1 medium head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 6 -8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 -2 tablespoon water or 1 -2 tablespoon apple juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 -2 dash white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy frying pan over medium heat, saute the diced bacon until crisp; with a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate and reserve.
- Add the diced apple to drippings; cook gently until apple begins to soften.
- Stir in the sliced cabbage, stirring well to coat. Add the bay leaf and thyme.
- Saute over medium heat until the cabbage is done to your liking (about 3-5 minutes for Napa cabbage, or about 45 minutes for regular green cabbage). Watch carefully. Add a little water or apple juice, if too dry.
- When done, stir in a dash or two of white wine vinegar whilst scraping up and incorporating any browned and caramelized bits in the pan; heat through briefly.
- Season to taste with a pinch of salt and the pepper. Add the chopped chives.
- Serve hot topped with crisp crumbled bacon.
I wish I had made more. The fam was fighting over this. No leftovers. Awesome recipe. I did use 2 apples. Gala, I think. I will try a different apple next time. The vinegar at the end was brilliant. Thank you! Made for German Tag 3/12.
I had rated another German recipe and mentioned I was out of bacon....now I know where it went - straight into this dish. I chopped the cabbage into coleslaw type pieces and it was so much easier to handle in the cooking pot than the previous one that had me quartering the cabbage. This dish is one that actually gets better the next day so make extra so you have more on hand. It's that good.