Recipe by Manami
"Bacon drippings add flavor to the sauteed vegetables, and the bacon crumbles are the finishing touch on top of the salad. A simple reduction of the cider concentrates the apple essence in the dressing. It's a technique you can use to intensify the flavor of all manner of sauces and dressings." Kathryn Conrad in Cooking Light Magazine.
- 3 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon peeled chopped shallot (1 small)
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup Roquefort cheese or 1⁄4 cup other blue cheese, crumbled
- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 diced red bell pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium-heat; until crisp.
- Remove bacon from pan; reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan.
- Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat.
- Add shallot and saute 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Bring apple cider to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup(about 15 minutes).
- Add shallot mixture, salt and pepper.
- Place cider vinegar mixture and cheese in a blender or small food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine cabbage and bell pepper in a large bowl, drizzle cider mixture over cabbage mixture, tossing well to coat.
- Top with crumbled bacon.
- Serve immediately.