1/1 Photo of Warm Cabbage and Green Beans
1 hr 30 mins
Marcus Samuelsson, chef, and an owner of Red Rooster, Harlem.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces clarified butter or 8 ounces ghee
- 1/2 cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (2-inch piece)
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 basil leaves
FOR THE CABBAGE AND GREEN BEANS
- 1 lb cabbage (or shredded) or 1 lb napa cabbage, thinly sliced (or shredded)
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes or 5 large tomatoes
- 7 ounces diced tomatoes (canned)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds (available in specialty stores)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon berbere (available in specialty stores) or 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom, preferably freshly ground
- fresh ginger, peeled and grated (3-inch piece)
- 3 cups green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- injera bread (available at Ethiopian or Eritrean restaurants) (optional) or rice, for serving (optional)
- 1In a medium saucepan, over low heat, melt butter; add onion, garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cumin, cardamom, oregano, turmeric, basil, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes; strain through a fine mesh sieve into a heat proof bowl (may be stored in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator for 3 weeks).
- 3To make the cabbage and green beans heat a saute pan or skillet over medium heat; melt 1/2 cup spiced butter and add cabbage and sliced onion.
- 4Saute until cabbage is wilted, about 5 minutes; add fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes, garlic, mustard seeds, nigella seeds, turmeric, berbere, cardamom, and ginger.
- 5Cook, over low heat, until soft and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, prepare and ice water bath; bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- 7Add green beans to boiling water, reduce heat to low, and cook until bright and tender, 3 to 5 minutes; immediately drain and plunge beans into the water bath.
- 8Drain beans and fold into the tomatoes and cabbage mixture; simmer 10 minutes.
- 9Taste and adjust for salt.; serve with injera bread or rice.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Warm Cabbage and Green Beans
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.1
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.7 g
- Saturated Fat 29.3 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 261.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: