Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
Consistency is much softer than a chilled brulee.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed red berries (large strawberries should be quartered)
- 8 egg yolks (medium-size eggs)
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar, to finish
- fresh berries, dusted with
- powdered sugar
- Arrange six 6 ounce ovenproof ramekins in a roasting pan; divide the berries between them.
- Use a fork to mix the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, and creme fraiche together in a bowl.
- Pour the heavy cream into a saucepan and bring almost to a boil; gradually stir it into the yolk mixture.
- Strain the mixture into the ramekins; mix the fruits in the cream with a fork.
- Pour warm water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the side of the dishes; bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25-30 minutes, until the custards are set with a slight softness in the center.
- Lift the dishes out of the water and leave at room temperature to cool for about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle the tops with the sugar and caramelize with a blowtorch; serve within 30 minutes, garnish with sugar-dusted berries.