Prep 8 mins
Cook 5 mins
This was originally a weight watcher's recipe, and after trying many different cheese fondues, its flavor and simplicity draw me back again and again.
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (low fat is fine)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlelight domestic beer (Coors light is a good brand)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- In a fondue pot or sauce pan, bring beer to a simmer.
- Add mustard and red pepper to beer.
- Coat cheese with flour.
- While stirring constantly, slowly add cheese.
- Fondue is done when mixture becomes a uniform cheese sauce.
- Good dippers are bread (especially multi-grain), tortilla chips, broccoli, celery, mushrooms, ham and turkey slices, and apples.
- When I make this as simply a chip dip, I often cook very small (1/4" diameter) sausage balls, and add them to the finished fondue mixture.