Recipe by Bec
From a vegetarian cookbook of mine. You can be creative and chill any leftovers and serve them as a salad with warm tortillas.
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh oregano
- 2 green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) cansmall red beans or 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans or 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans
- 4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (1 cup) or 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- fresh basil sprig (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl combine tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh oregano, green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan combine undrained red or kidney beans and undrained great northern or navy beans.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat- Cover and simmer for 2 minutes or till heated through- Drain.
- To serve, toss warm beans with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese over bean mixture.
- If desired, garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve warm.