Recipe by Topher
I think the name says it all. Great for finishing a meal off with. Recipe source is Johnny's Half Shell
- 2 cups about 43 wafers finely crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 small bananas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Crust: Combine the crushed vanilla wafers, sugar and melted butter, and press into the pie pan. Bake for 7 for 8 minutes until golden brown. Place on a rack to cool completely.
- Pastry cream: In a large bowl, combine the sugar, salt and cornstarch. Add the egg yolks and whisk for about 30 seconds, until the mixture is lemon-colored and somewhat thickened.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the milk until small bubbles begin to form. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually whisk 3 to 4 tablespoons of the warm milk into the yolk mixture to temper it.
- Whisk the tempered yolks back into the saucepan of milk. Return the pan to medium heat and continue whisking until the mixture becomes very thick and begins to boil.
- Pour the pastry cream into a bowl and fold in the butter and vanilla extract. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the pastry cream and refrigerate for 3 hours, or until it has completely chilled.
- Meringue: Combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Place the bowl over a pan of barely bubbling water (the bowl should not touch the water) and whisk for 2 minutes, until the mixture is frothy and warm to the touch.
- Place the bowl on the mixer stand and beat at high speed until the meringue forms and holds a satiny peak.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the bananas into 1/4-inch slices and gently fold them into the pastry cream.
- Pour pastry cream into the prepared pie shell, slightly mounding it in the center. Spread the meringue on the pie, making sure that the outside edge of the pie is sealed by meringue (no crust exposed).
- Bake for 10 minutes until the meringue is golden brown. Serve immediately.