Recipe by Marie
Just found this recipe and it looks like a dynamite dessert that I will be trying real soon! Sliced bananas are folded into a creamy homemade custard, then topped and broiled with a crusty golden almond topping. Recipe from Canadian Living magazine.
Top Review by ejuneca
I was browsing thru recipzaar and was prompted to join the site when I saw this posting. I saw this recipe at the CL website and was intrigued so I tried it...big surprise because CL almost never lets me down but it was a BIG disappointment...the combination of the bananas and custard was lovely...and the almonds on top was fine except for that flour in the topping...gave a weird raw flour flavour and hard to describe texture. You could get a better end result by just using toasted almonds on their own. MHO..someone else might have better results
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 bananas
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with sugar and set aside.
- In saucepan, heat cream and milk together until bubbles form around the edge, then whisk into egg mixture.
- Return to pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to clean bowl and stir in vanilla.
- Place plastic wrap directly on top of custard and refrigerate until cold.
- Slice bananas and gently fold into custard.
- Spoon into eight 4" ramekins.
- In small bowl, mix flour with almonds and sprinkle evenly over custard and pat lightly.
- Broil until topping is crusty and golden, but bananas remain cool- about 2 minutes.