Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A few years ago there was a restaurant called Victoria Station in Denver. You ate in old trolly cars, where they served the best spinach salad. The warm bacon dressing is what made it. I have searched a long time for this. Here it is...
- 5 slice bacon, cooked until crisp & then crumbled
- 78.07 ml red onion (finely chopped)
- 2.46 ml cornstarch
- 59.14 ml apple juice
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 2.46-4.92 ml honey
- 1-2 hard-boiled egg, chopped coarsely
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 85.04 g fresh Baby Spinach (1/2 6oz. package)
- sliced fresh button mushroom (to taste)
- Combine spinach and mushrooms in salad bowl.
- Cook onion until translucent, in olive oil.
- Combine cornstarch, apple juice and cider vinegar together until well mixed.
- Add to skillet with onion and heat until boiling.
- While boiling continue to stir until mixture thickens slightly.
- Stir in honey.
- Pour hot dressing over spinach mixture and mix in well.
- Add boiled egg and bacon and toss thoroughly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Thank you for sharing!! This is an EXCELLENT warm bacon dressing recipe (I made it with a few alterations listed below). My hubby requested that we keep this recipe & use it often. Thank you!! My alterations: 1) I used 1.5 tablespoons of the bacon drippings instead of the olive oil 2) Used Red Wine Vinegar instead of the Cider Vinegar since my Cider Vinegar was past itâ€™s prime. Would use the Red Wine vinegar againâ€”it added a good depth of flavor. 3) Used organic apple juice that had more apple solids in it than standard apple juiceâ€¦itâ€™s closer to apple cider.
Fantastic! I remember it well from Victoria Station in New Orleans. Searched for so long- thank you
This dish so reminded me of home. I totaly forgot all about my mom making this for us. I chose to add mustard to ours. Excellant!