Recipe by Irmgard
A wonderful warm dessert to take advantage of fresh apricots when they are in season.
- 6 cups apricots, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, toss together the apricots, sugar, flour, lemon rind and juice and cardamom to coat.
- Scrape into an 8" square glass baking dish and set aside.
- To make the biscuit topping, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- With a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk all at once, stirring with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Gather the dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough about 10 times or until smooth.
- Pat out into a circle about 1/2" thick.
- Using a 3" round cookie cutter, cut into rounds, rerolling and cutting the scraps.
- Arrange over the fruit.
- Brush the rounds lightly with the milk and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven until the centre biscuit is no longer doughy underneath, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm.