Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
The combination of a buttery fruit filling and a crumbly cinnamon topping makes this apple pie a dessert delight. From Southern Living magazine.
- 1 (9 inch) refrigerated pie crusts
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, divided
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- Fit pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate according to package directions. Fold edges under and crimp.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apple slices, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes or until apple slices are tender; set aside.
- Beat 1/4 cup butter and 1 1/3 cups sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Add 2 tbsp flour and vanilla, beating until blended. Add buttermilk, beating until smooth.
- Spoon apple mixture into pie crust; pour buttermilk mixture over apple mixture.
- Bake at 300° for 30 minutes.
- Stir together 3 tbsp butter, 1/4 cup sugar, brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon until crumbly. Sprinkle over pie.
- Bake 40 more minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 1 hour before serving.
A great recipe! The 1/2 cup of butter to saute the apple seemed a bit much so I dipped the apples out into the pie crust and saved the melted butter for the topping. It was wonderful.
This was good and my DH loved it. However, I think I would rather have regular apple pie. Might be better if there were more apples and less custard as the apples seemed to get lost in all the custard. Overall, though, it was a really good dessert.
This is the best apple pie I have ever had! I made this with a gingersnap crumb and pecan crust, but otherwise followed recipe exactly. Incredibly yummy and pretty easy to make too!