Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another Pampered Chef recipe, but one that I haven't fixed yet. With Christmas just around the corner, I thought this might be a good one.
- 1 cup almonds, sliced, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk, only
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 -17 1⁄3 ounce puff pastry sheet, frozen, thawed
- 2 red baking apples, such as Jonathan
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam, warmed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Thaw pastry sheets at room temperature about 1 hour before using it, or microwave it at 20% power for 3-4 mintues, thawed but still cold for easier handling.
- Grate 3/4 cup of the almonds.
- Make the almond mixture by combing, in a bowl, the grated almonds, sugar, flour, whole egg and the 1 egg yolk, and almond extract. Mix well and set aside.
- Prepare the apples by cutting them in half lengthwise, and removing the stems, and seeds, then slice the apple halves crosswise, to 1/4" thick. Set aside.
- Unfold one pastry sheet onto a baking pan large enough to accomodate the rolled out pastry, (a pizza pan might be best,) spreading out to 10 1/2" square.
- Spreak the almond mixture evenly over the pasty to within 1" of the edge.
- Arrange apple slices, creating them into an overlapping pattern, over the filling.
- Cut remaining pasty sheet into 9 - 1" strips.
- Moisten outer edges of spread dough with water. Arrange five strips diagonally over apples, twisting the strips, then press edges into moisted dough to seal.
- Trim excess.
- Arrange the fmaining dough strips around the edge of pasty, to creat a nice even border.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, pastry should be golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread the warmed jam over the pastry. Brown the remaining almonds in microwave, by cooking them on high for 5 - 7 minutes. Stirr every 30 seconds. Chop the almonds.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the pastry. Then sprinkle with powdered sugar, if you want to. Cut it into squares, then top with ice cream and/or whipped topping. Serve it warm.