Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
The aroma of this roast made DH and DS drool. I had a beautiful roast from the market and wanted to try simple spices yet aromatic! This is what the doctor ordered for a very chilly January day. DH and DS loved it!
- 3 -4 lbs boneless bottom round roast
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (reserve 1/2)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a plate.
- Rub roast in oil.
- Roll roast in dry mix.
- Place onions on bottom of crock pot.
- Place roast in crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Throw in remaining rosemary 1/2-1 hr before dinner to send the aroma once again through the house.
- With juice from roast I made a gravy to pour over top of sliced beef just before serving.
- I served with roasted potatoes, broccoli, and fresh made Italian bread.
- Leftovers were shredded for beef sandwiches the following day mixed with the gravy.
- *** I use fresh herbs when possible so measurements are approximate for herbs. Adjust seasonings to taste. I do not use salt and at times am heavy on herbs.
This was so easy and great tasting. My wife often complains that too many of my recipe choices have too much of a "kick" for her taste. This was a fanatastic balance of spices. The meat was fork tender. I too added about 1/2 cup red wine and turned the meat halfway through the cooking time. There was enough drippings to thicken on the stove (removing the large onion pieces first) to make a great gravy.
Just made this last night and it turned out wonderful. Didn't have the sage, but seemed good to go without it! Only other thing I changed was that I removed a good portion of the fat first, and added approx 1/2 cup of liquid consisting of red wine, warm water and a little Lipton mushroom soup mix. Turned it over about halfway through, and cooked on low for about 6 hours total.Very good, everyone had seconds.
This comes together quickly and is very tender and tasty. I made an onion gravy with the drippings and it is wonderful. Mine was done in 7 hours.