Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe off of a bag of War Eagle Corn Meal over 30 years ago, and it's been our favorite ever since. It's not too sweet or cake-like. This recipe makes one dozen regular muffins, or one 8" iron skillet or cake pan.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat baking pan in oven. Melt 1 or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, bacon fat, or butter in pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Combine liquids, add to dry mixture, and stir well. Pour batter into hot pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- If making muffins, grease tin well or use paper cupcake liners. Divide batter, bake for 20 minutes.
- Makes 1 dozen muffins or one 8" layer cake pan or skillet.