Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Super easy, flavourful and tender, with a souvlaki-ish taste. This is best done on the grill, but I've also baked this in the oven on a rack in the winter. Or use a Foreman grill if you have one. Serve with a greek salad and lemon roasted potatoes. From the "Friends of Hope" Cookbook...fundraiser for breast cancer care.
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Add a small amount of buttermilk to the honey and whisk until smooth, then add the remaining marinade ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Place chicken breasts in a zipper bag, pour marinade over and seal, turning to coat.
- Refrigerate 4-8 hours, turning occasionally. A longer marinating time will yield a more tender and flavourful result.
- Grill on medium setting until no longer pink.
- Note: You don't need a pool of marinade around the chicken but if it seems scant add bit more buttermilk.
- If you like a fuller lemon flavour use the juice of a whole lemon. I've also left out the lemon totally when I didn't have one, still a great taste.
- Cooking time is approximate, it depends on which method you use. You could also cut up the chicken and skewer -- reduce marinade and cook times.
You can taste the Greek in these chicken breasts! :) Very good and I am not a huge fan of oregano. I had three large chicken breasts that I marinated over night in a zipper bag. The flavor is wonderful and strong but the chicken is tender and juicy. Could have definitely used some pita bread and tzatziki sauce. Will make these again! Made and reviewed for Kittencal's The Big Fat Greek Tag Game!
Really tasty recipe that leaves the chicken moist and loaded with flavor - I used skinless, boneless thighs (they were on sale) Grilled on my Griddler - They look a bit dark but were not in the least overdone -I used powdered Buttermilk. A recipe that will be made again Thanks Jo for a lovely Sunday Dinner
This was great! I omitted the buttermilk as I didn't have any. Ended up being delicious and my 4 year old loved it! Thanks