Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
For the first 5 years of my life, we lived in an apartment building in Kew Gardens, Queens. You'd walk into the hallway and you could smell everyone's cooking .. Walk past Wanda's door and the aroma of cookies in the oven filled my nostrils...that was one of the happiest times of my life! Here's the recipe Wanda gave my mom...
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and pinch of salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer, till light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, light cream and flavoring.
- Turn out dough onto plastic wrap; flatten with hands chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove dough and roll on on a lightly floured board 1/8" thick.
- Press with favorite cookie cutters.
- Preheat oven at 425 degrees and Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Dust with confectionery sugar or frost with favorite icing.
I had a hard time working with this dough. It was just too soft. I chilled it overnight and still couldn't work it.Perhaps some additional flour would help.