Recipe by Messy44
These are so easy - a little bit of chocolate heaven. I have been making these for over 10 years and have been asked more for this recipe than any other. They are named for a woman that gave a friend the recipe - we never knew Wanda but we love her for sharing this one. One reviewer has suggested I rename these "Chocolate Insanity Bars." :) * Some have had trouble with them being gooey - my advice is to use national brand name condensed milk, not store brand, as it tends to be thicker. Also, keep them refrigerated or in a cooler. Enjoy!
Top Review by Micki Lea
With a great name like "Wanda Bars," I just had to make these (my mom's name is Wanda). They are excellent (rave reviews & recipe requests from those who had them)! They are very rich, so a small piece satisfies the sweet tooth. I used the entire package of regular Oreos for the crust and used the amount of sweetened condensed milk that the original recipe called for. I had a few caramel chips left over from something else, so I sprinkled those on the top with the chocolate chips. The recipe is so easy that it lends itself to altering it. Mint oreos would make a great crust, too. Using M&Ms or drizzling white chocolate on top would add a nice touch of color. Next time, I'm going to try making "A Turtle Called Wanda" bars by adding chopped pecans and drizzling melted caramel on top. So many possibilities! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!
- 16 ounces Oreo cookies
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (Borden, Carnation)
- 12 ounces mini chocolate chips, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cookies in large bowl and crush into small pieces with a small mallet, or place them in a zip bag and crush with a rolling pin, then place in large bowl. Stop when pieces are smaller than a dime but not yet crumbs.
- Pour melted margarine over cookies in bowl and mix until all cookie pieces are well coated. Press in bottom of ungreased 9x13 baking pan.
- Place sweetened condensed milk and 1 cup of the mini chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat until melted together (30 seconds at a time with stirring in between until smooth). Pour over cookie crust. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over top.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Cool in refrigerator at least 2 hours before cutting.