Recipe by Recipe Junkie
I have no idea who Walt is, but this is a recipe from the thrift store cookbook I bought, and it caught my eye because it calls for cantaloupes! I'd love to try this. I imagine that photos of this would look really pretty.
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup boiling water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 (1 lb) can applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups thick slices sauted mushrooms
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, bite-size chunks
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 3 large cantaloupe
- chopped almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve chicken bouillon cube in water.
- Melt butter and onions and simmer until tender.
- Stir in flour, curry powder, salt, ginger and sugar.
- Gradually stir in bouillon and milk.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add lemon juice.
- Fold in chicken, applesauce, mushrooms and water chestnuts.
- Cut cantaloupes in half.
- Loosen meat of melon and cut into chunks, but do not lose shape of melon.
- Warm melons in 350 oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Fill with curried chicken.
- Sprinkle with coconut and almonds.
- Serve with rice and vegetables.