Recipe by carole in orlando
My husband worked at WDW for 30 years and during the days when the cafeteria was supplied by WDW this was a favorite by the employees. It was printed by the Orlando Sentinel years ago and I copied it. It makes a lot, so reduce it for your family.
- 3⁄4 lb margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups celery, diced
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 gallon hot milk
- 1 quart clam
- 1 quart clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups green peppers, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups potatoes, steamed for 12 minutes,diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in dutch oven, add onions, celery and saute until tender.
- Add flour to make a roux and cook over low heat 10 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- Gradually add hot milk, stirring constantly to maintain smoothness.
- Add clam juice and chopped clams and cook 20 minutes more.
- Add green pepper, thyme and pepper.
- When green peppers are tender, add potatoes cut into small chunks and cook 10 minutes more.