Recipe by Cilantro in Canada
I found this recipe in a mystery novel by Joanne Fluke, called Lemon Meringue Pie Murder. They require at least 4 hours refrigeration before baking. This recipe makes 8-10 dozen cookies according to the original recipe.
Top Review by Debi
My family actually gave this a 4 1/2 star rating. I let the mixture sit in the fridge over night. 9 minutes wasn't enough time in my oven but 10 minutes was perfect. Any longer would have been too long. So test your oven out with the first batch. I prerolled and sugared the dough and let sit in the fridge while waiting their turn in the oven. That saved some time.
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine or 3⁄4 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour (not sifted)
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (approximately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate chips with margarine in the microwave, stirring as needed.
- Mix in the brown sugar and let cool.
- Add the eggs one at a time, ensuring you mix well after each egg.
- Stir in the vanilla, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in the flour.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Place the dough in the fridge for at least 4 hours but overnight is best.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using about 1 tablespoon or a cookie scoop, roll walnut sized balls of dough. Coat with sugar.
- Place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
- The original directions call for the cookies to be baked for 12-14 minutes, however I found that 9 minutes worked best for me.
- Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for about a minute and remove. They may stick if left longer on the cookie sheet.