Recipe by KarenT2
My Mom got this from a newspaper many years ago and doctored it up a bit (MORE cream cheese!) It is a huge hit wherever I take it and the recipe is always in demand. It is definitely the next best thing to chocolate!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast (1 tblsp)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Dough: Soften yeast in warm water and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, then cut in margarine to coarse crumbs.
- Add softened yeast and egg, then blend.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface to make two 9" X 13" rectangles.
- Filling: Beat cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- Spread half of the filling mixture onto each rectangle of dough.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Rollup dough, starting from long side.
- Place seam side down on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Cut the roll about half way down, through the center, lengthwise.
- (This will allow the roll to spread slightly during baking. I like to dash the knife cuts like highway lines so it doesn't spread open too much.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool slightly.
- Cut lengthwise, then diagonally into 1" pieces.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve (Best when still warm).
- Leftovers should be refrigerated.
- Hint: Filling may be colored to fit your mood or the holiday.