Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this at www.walnuts.org whilst searching for new and interesting uses for walnuts. I can't wait to give it a try!! They also suggest that this mixture makes a great taco salad.
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (or 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 2 cups zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix (half of a 1.35-oz. packet )
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 taco shells (or 6 flour or corn tortillas)
- Heat tomatoes and zucchini in a wide skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered 3 minutes.
- Stir in taco seasoning, 2 tablespoons water, black beans and corn.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in walnuts. Let stand 1-2 minutes for sauce to thicken.
- Serve in taco shells or soft tortillas with choice of condiments like lettuce, cheese, sour cream, or avocado slices.
Great lunch! We love all of the ingredients and love how it came together. Used white corn taco shells, and 6 shells accounted for about half of the mixture, so we look forward to having more tomorrow. DH asked "Where's the meat?" to which I replied, "Walnut meat!" I used finely chopped walnuts, which seemed a good choice for this recipe. This was more satisfying to me than ground beef tacos, plus I love the high fiber and veggies. Made for Veggie Swap 36 July 2011.