Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Per request of zaar member. Chill time is 30 minutes. Source: Better Homes and Gardens http://www.bhg.com
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped walnuts
For Choc Whip
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- Oven 350ºF.
- Grease and flour two 8x1-1/2-inch or 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- CAKE BATTER:.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat together the 1/2 cup sugar and shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition.
- Add vanilla.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to egg mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined. Spread evenly into prepared pans; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually add the 1 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- By hand, fold in walnuts.
- Spread meringue evenly over batter in pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Carefully loosen cakes from pans; invert pans to remove cakes.
- Cool cakes completely, meringue side up, on wire racks.
- CHOCOLATE WHIP:
- In medium mixing bowl combine the 3/4 cup sugar and cocoa powder.
- Gradually stir in whipping cream.
- Beat just until soft peaks form.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate. Spread half of the chocolate whip over layer.
- Top with second cake layer; spread top with remaining chocolate whip.
- Cover loosely.
- Chill 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.