Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From my grandmothers collection of handwritten recipes. No name, but from 1965. Serve with whipped cream. Can be sliced and filled with butter cream if you want to be fancy. Suitable to make the day before. Almonds or hazelnuts could be used in stead of walnuts. I recommend using almond essence in stead of vanilla if you choose either instead of walnuts.
- 230 g ground walnuts
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup milk, warmed
- 115 g butter, softened
- 230 g caster sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the yolks and milk, beat again.
- Add the walnuts and flour.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peak stage.
- Fold in to the mixture carefully, you want the egg whites to add volume.
- Carefully pour batter into a greased and lined 9 inch round cake tin.
- Bake at 185oC oven for 40-45 minutes, until done when tested.
- Chill in the fridge after 10 minutes on the cake airer.
- Keep in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove from tin when cold/chilled.
- Serve as is with whipped cream or create layers and fill each layer with butter cream.