Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Recipe source: The Book Club Cookbook -- describing a wonderful way to discus Jane Eyre at your book club while nibbling on these wonderful tea sandwiches -- best if used very thin bread (suggestion: Pepperidge Farm thinly sliced bread/a combination of white and wheat would be pretty on a tray). Suggested to make sandwiches ahead of time and then cover them with waxed paper and then refrigerate them to prevent drying out -- but it is still best to prepare sandwiches as close to serving time as possible.
- 14 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon green bell pepper, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- white pepper
- 24 slices bread (see note in description ( use thinly sliced bread)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- In a large bowl combine first 4 ingredients (cream cheese - bell pepper) and stir in the onion, lemon juice and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hours.
- Spread one side of each piece of bread with butter and then top the buttered side of 12 slices of bread with the cream cheese mixture topping with another slice of bread, buttered side down. Cut off crusts with a sharp knife.
- Cut sandwiches diagonally into quarters.