1/2 Photos of Walnut Tart Hungarian Style
This is my take on one of those scrumptious Austro-Hungarian tortes. It is literally made in minutes in a food processor -- it looks professional but is so easy and quick. (I give metric measurements in brackets, as most countries use metric measures and weights. The metric weights are more accurate than the American weights, but the difference is so small it won't matter).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons cake flour (90 ml)
- 1 cup superfine sugar (250 ml caster sugar)
- 4 eggs, extra-large
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 ounces butter (60 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (5 ml)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence (10 ml)
- 5 ounces walnuts, broken (150 g)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 deg C/180 deg F.
- 2Grease a loose-bottomed springform cake tin. If liked, sprinkle the greased sides with fine almonds. (You can also line the tin with baking paper, also the bottom, as the newest baking paper is non-stick).
- 3Place all the ingredients for the tart in a food processor, and process for 1 - 2 minutes until the walnuts are very finely chopped and the mixture is smooth.
- 4Pour this runny batter into the prepared tin, and tap the tin lightly to flatten the batter and remove air bubbles.
- 5Bake for about 35 minutes. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- 6Cool the cake slightly, then remove the sides of the springform tin, leaving the cake on the base. Let cool down more.
- 7To make the topping: put the butter and broken-up chocolate into a small pot over gentle heat (do NOT boil). Stir to warm and melt the chocolate into the butter.
- 8Spread the softened or warmed apricot jam over the tart, and swirl the chocolate ganache over the jam.
- 9If you want, round off with flaked or nibbed almonds.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut Tart Hungarian Style
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.8
- Calories from Fat 364
- Total Fat 40.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.1 mg
- Sodium 443.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 45.9 g
- Protein 10.6 g