Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
A scrumptious, nutty tart. Serve this warm with a scoop of softened vanilla ice cream slowly melting over top and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar
- 7 tablespoons well-chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, plus
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts (ground fine together with the icing sugar)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- walnut halves
- For pastry: Combine flour and sugar in large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in yolks and vanilla; gather dough into a ball.
- Turn out on lightly-floured surface.
- Using heel of hand, smear dough a little at a time across surface to blend butter and flour thoroughly.
- Flatten into disc.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll dough out between sheets of wax paper to thickness of 1/8 inch.
- Fit into 11 inch tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges.
- Pierce shell all over with fork; line with foil and fill with pie weights or dry beans.
- Bake until pastry is set, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Remove beans and foil and bake until crust is golden-brown, about another 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300F.
- Blend all filling ingredients, except for walnut halves, and pour into crust.
- Bake until filling is set and looks dry, about 35 minutes.
- Cool and decorate with walnut halves.
Made this last week for a party with lots of high-fallutin' guests. It was a hit--none left to take home, or send with anyone! This tastes like a warm, gooey cookie. Loved it!