Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law. My husband likes this so much he requests it as his birthday cake. It can easily be doubled and put in a 9" x 13" pan.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and flour round layer cake pan or square 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" pan.
- Blend first seven ingredients; beat vigorously 30 seconds.
- Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts and melted butter in a small bowl.
- Pour half cake batter into pan. Sprinkle half of brown sugar mixture over batter. Pour remaining cake batter in pan. Top with remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
This is a yummy coffee cake! I had to use a 9x9 pan, so it didn't seem that the crumble covered the top real well, but it was still very good. Thanks for sharing!
This is now our new Christmas tradition... I added a little bit of coconut and it was awesome! I saw our daughter going for 2nd, an 3rds. might try to add a little bit of chopped dates the next time I make this coffee cake. This cake is moist and delicious!!
Super easy and very good. Everyone at work loved it. I could actually reduce the sugar in the filling and it would still be great. I used a 9" round cake pan, and it was a little difficult to spread the batter all the way to the edges, but it still worked!