These are homey, old fashioned cookies that have a wonderful richness to them. The recipe was given to me by my dear friend Mary, who is like a 2nd mother to me, and one of my favorite people to swap recipes with.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, grease well an 8" square pan.
- Beat egg until foamy, beat in brown sugar and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients, mix into to egg mixture, stir in walnuts.
- Bake until the top has a dull crust about 25 minutes, cut into squares while warm, cool and then remove from the pan.
- Easily doubled, bake in a 9x13 pan.