Prep 2 hrs
Cook 12 mins
Special occasion cookie, when you want to impress! These take time to make but are oh so good. This recipe does not do good doubled.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons water (105- 110 F)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground walnuts
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, divided
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl; cut in butter till it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, add yeast to warm water, stir in egg yolks, sour cream and vanilla; blend into flour mixture; mix until soft dough forms; refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F; lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, gradually add sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form, add rum extract, gently fold in nuts; set mixture aside.
- Divide chilled dough into 4 equal parts, refrigerating each part until ready to use.
- Roll each section into a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar; cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Spread a heaping teaspoon of prepared meringue on each wedge, roll up each wedge, beginning at wide end.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until pale golden brown.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Sprinkle cookies with remaining powdered sugar when cool.