Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a delicious recipe. The creamy risotto and roasted aparagus together make a wonderful, flavorful dish. I would recommend using arborio rice to make risotto. Another option is to cut the asparagus into bite size pieces (after roasting) and fold them into the risotto at the end.
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons olive oil (preferably extra virgin)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄4 cups arborio rice or 1 1⁄4 cups medium-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Bring broth to simmer in medium saucepan. Cover and remove from heat.
- Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until light golden, about 4 minutes. Add rice and stir 1 minute. Add wine and stir until wine evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup hot broth and cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Continue adding more broth, 1/2 cupful at a time, until rice is tender and creamy, stirring frequently and allowing most of broth to be absorbed before adding more, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place asparagus and garlic in shallow baking dish. Drizzle remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat with oil. Bake asparagus until tender, turning occasionally, about 16 minutes.
- Mix walnuts and grated Parmesan into risotto. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange roasted asparagus in center of 4 plates. Top with risotto.
This is a great risotto! It is perfect as it is written. I have also added mushrooms to the risotto when I have extra in the fridge. I simply add them to the pot at the same time I add the onion.
I usually pair this recipe with #116956 (Baked Herb Parmesan Tilapia). The combination is both elegant and healthy! This is highly recommended!