Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Cooking Echo on BHG Baker's Corner.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Cream butter and Shortening thoroughly.
- Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Beat until light.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add 2 cups flour alternately with milk containing flavoring.
- Add the last 1 cup flour containing salt and baking powder.
- Stir in 1 cup finely chopped walnuts.
- The batter will be thick and fluffy.
- Spoon into tube pan, which has been lightly greased and floured.
- Place the cake in COLD oven on middle shelf.
- Turn oven to 350ºF.
- Don't open door for 1 1/4 hours.
- Allow cake to cool in pan on wire rack.
I made this today, and used it for strawberry shortcake. Yummy! And it baked up beautifully!