Recipe by L DJ
Very sweet and yummy, my sister sent me this recipe knowing how much I love penuche and walnuts Does not include 3-5 hour chill time
Top Review by grfox33
This is terrific! I have tried to make this candy for years and it always turns to crystals.... This one came out perfect. The only thing I did different was to use dark brown sugar....all I had. I think they are like pralines.....I'm from the south and love them but could never get it to come out. I can make it now!! Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped coarse
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Line an 8 inch square pan with foil, letting foil extend above 2 sides.
- Grease lightly.
- Spread nuts in a 9 inch microwave safe pie plate.
- Microwave uncovered on high 6 to 7 minutes, stirring 3 times, until lightly toasted.
- Melt butter in a 3 quart microwave safe bowl.
- Stir in sugar and milk until blended.
- Microwave uncovered on high 7 to 9 minutes, stirring 4 times, until sugar has completely dissolved and mixture has thickened and is a medium caramel color.
- Using potholders, move bowl to heatproof surface.
- Add vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer 3 to 4 minutes until smooth and shiny.
- Add walnuts and beat on low sped 1 minute to distribute evenly.
- Spread in prepared pan.
- Cool, then cover and refrigerate until firm, 2 to 3 hours.
- Holding foil ends, carefully lift candy to cutting board.
- Peel off foil.
- Cut candy in 1 inch squares.
- Store tightly covered in a cool place.