Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another Greek dessert/pastry to serve with coffee Yum!
- 150 g walnuts, chopped
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 375 g kataifi pastry
- 80 g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Butter medium baking dish.
- Combine walnuts, 25g sugar, egg whites and cinnamon.
- Pull out a small handful of pastry (keep the rest covered to prevent drying out).
- Lay out in a square on a bench.
- Place a spoonful of walnut mixture in centre, fold in sides and roll into cigar shape. Place in baking dish.
- Repeat--don't allow pastries to touch one another.
- Brush with butter and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile place remaining sugar, 300ml water, juice and rind in a saucepan.
- Stir to dissolve sugar and bring to boil. Boil for 10 minutes until thick.
- Pour syrup over cooked pastries.