Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Asparagus sauteed with walnuts which are then 'sugared' in fresh-squeezed-orange and brown sugar.
- 3⁄4 lb asparagus
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil or 1 tablespoon clarified butter
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped or 1⁄2 cup walnut halves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- Wash and prepare asparagus by snapping the thick end off.
- Zest 1/2 orange and then extract the juice.
- Heat oil in pan and saute Asparagus and walnuts in oil until asparagus is ~1/2 to 3/4 of the way done.
- Add orange juice and brown sugar and zest to the pan and reduce by half, or until the asparagus is done.
- Remove asparagus to plate.
- Continue reducing sugared liquid, tossing, until you are left with glistening walnuts and a tiny bit of liquid.
- Pour nuts across plated asparagus, and garnish with orange zest.
Very good! I used Meyer lemon and a clementine for the orange. Thank you for the delish side at our Christmas meal.