1/1 Photo of Walnut, Orange and Black Pepper Biscotti
1 hr 15 mins
Old Gourmet recipe. As yet untried by me, but I am a biscotti nut and a pepper nut, so am recording in my files.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached for hard, bleached for more tender)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (1/8 tsp. less if you want paler colour, more if darker)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (change to 1/4)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, fairly fine (changed to 1 1/2 tsp., go easy at first)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar (changed to 3/4 cup sugar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon packed orange zest or 1 tablespoon lemon zest (or combination of all) or 1 tablespoon tangerine zest (or combination of all)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted, cooled and chopped fine (better done by hand)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (eliminated, used more walnuts)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2To begin, toast and chop the walnuts, have ready the zests, grind the pepper and bring butter and eggs to room temperature.
- 3Line two trays with parchment paper or nonstick liners like Exopat. Have ready a large floured surface, a dough scraper and extra parchment paper.
- 4In a medium bowl sift the flours, baking powder, soda, salt and pepper.
- 5In a large bowl, cream the butter. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well, and add the zest and vanilla.
- 6Stir in the dry mixture into the butter mixture, then add the nuts. Do not over mix but also don't leave streaks of flour either. You will have quite a goopy mess.
- 7Tip the dough out onto your work surface. Divide the dough into pieces. Two pieces for large trad. size biscotti, four pieces for smaller, thinner ones.
- 8With floured hands and/or your dough scraper, form into logs about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide, quickly place onto trays about 3" apart, brush off excess flour, and put into the middle of preheated oven. (I say quickly because if you bumble about.
- 9picking the logs up they will fall back onto the board. If this happens, don't worry, just form into logs and try again.).
- 10If you don't want to cook all of the logs, wrap them up in parchment, then saran wrap and freeze.
- 11Cook for about 20 mins (small) or 25 mins (large logs) until they are just turning golden.
- 12Remove from oven, let cool on baking rack for 10 minutes or so -- longer doesn't hurt.
- 13Now put the biscotti logs on a big cutting board, cut them on the diagonal about 3/4" wide, replace on same trays cut side down and place in oven (still 350° F.) for 7-8 minutes or until as hard as you want. I like them like granite so it takes them longer.
- 14Let cool on racks and then store in airtight containers.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut, Orange and Black Pepper Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (871 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 121.7
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 39.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 2.0 g