1/3 Photos of Walnut Nut Rolls (Nut Roll or Kolache)
1 hr 30 mins
Marg (CaymanDesigns)'s Note:
My mom got the recipe for these from my great aunt Grethel. She always makes them for Christmas and New Year's breakfast but they are good all year round.
My Private Note
12 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets yeast (approximately 4 1/2 to 5 tsp.)
- 7/8 cup lukewarm milk
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 lbs ground nutmeats (we use walnuts, approximately 6 cups)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Dough: Dissolve yeast in milk with sugar. Add butter, salt, and egg yolks.
- 2Stirring to mix. Add 2 cups flour and mix well, add remaining flour. Knead 5 minutes.
- 3Divide dough into 3-4 parts, cover and let rise while preparing filling.
- 4Filling: Heat all ingredients in a sauce pan until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 5Roll out each portion of dough to an 1/8 inch thickness in a rectangle shape. Spread an equal amount of filling on each portion on dough. Roll up jelly roll fashion and let raise 15-20 minutes.
- 6Brush with egg whites before baking. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
- 7Once cool, top with icing, if desired.
- 8Icing: Cream butter and egg yolk. Then add confectioner's sugar a cup at a time beating on medium speed. Add vanilla and milk 1 Tbls. at a time and beat on high until fluffy.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Walnut Nut Rolls (Nut Roll or Kolache)
Serving Size: 1 (2832 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3212.1
- Calories from Fat 1970
- Total Fat 218.9 g
- Saturated Fat 78.3 g
- Cholesterol 386.5 mg
- Sodium 1731.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 268.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 26.2 g
- Sugars 75.7 g
- Protein 67.9 g