Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Another recipe from Ms. Larsen of The Village Pie Maker in Eustis, NE. She describes this pie as "earthy and robust" and says it's great with vanilla ice cream, unsweetened whipped cream or a dollop or creme fraiche.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup molasses, mild
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 (10 inch) unbaked pie shells
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat eggs. Add melted butter, vanilla, salt and nutmeg; blend well. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and molasses. Mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle nuts in unbaked pie shell; pour egg mixture over nuts.
- Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes or until filling is set.
This was a delicious, very rich pie. I made it for a vegetarian Thanksgiving party and it was devoured and enjoyed! I substituted brown rice syrup for the corn syrup. I used 2 cups of walnuts instead of 1 cup and I would cut the brown sugar in half next time, as it was a bit too sweet. Otherwise, a fabulous wholesome dessert.