Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Gourmet. March 1990.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- In a bowl stir together the flour, the baking powder, the salt, and 1/2 cup of the walnuts.
- In another bowl cream together the shortening and the brown sugar, beat in the egg, the milk, and the vanilla, and stir in the flour mixture until the batter is just combined.
- Divide the batter between 2 greased and floured 5- by 2-inch mini-loaf pans, sprinkle it with the remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, and bake the loaves in the middle of a preheated 375°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve the loaves warm.