Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Cooking time includes the crust cooling time.
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 20 Ritz crackers, broken into fourths
- 4 cups fruit, of choice fresh or canned,drained well
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped,unsweetened
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the salt and baking powder.
- Gradually beat in the sugar; continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Lightly fold in the walnuts and cracker chunks.
- Spread the mixture over the bottom and sides of a well-greased pie plate; building up the sides.
- Bake at 325°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, fill the center with the drained fruit.
- Serve the whipped cream on the side.