Recipe by the80srule
I was inspired to make this after both seeing a recipe on Mirj's blog, and trying a walnut-lentil pate at Angelica Kitchen. This is a completely vegan version. Regular paprika works too, but the smoked paprika really makes this zing! The long time the onions take is worth it.
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 29.58-44.37 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml brown lentils (dry)
- 177.44 ml shelled walnuts
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 2.46 ml smoked paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop up the onions in a food processor. I like mine super-fine for this.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, and let the onions cook for a VERY long time, about an hour, until they're very brown.
- While the onions are cooking, cook the lentils. Lightly salt about a quart of water and soak the lentils for about 20-25 minutes until soft but not too soft.
- Grind the walnuts in a food processor until finely ground, but not hard enough to make the oils separate.
- Add the onions, and all the olive oil they sauteed inches Pulse a few times.
- Add the lentils and sea salt, pepper, and paprika and pulse until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve with rice crackers, celery, and carrot sticks or other goodies good for dipping.